Saturday, 6 October 2007

Hola from Buenos Aires. I've been here a week now, and am slowly getting over Wales getting knocked out of thE World Cup 5 minutes after I checked in. BA is a big modern city, lots of nightlife and restaurants that serve huge amounts of barbecued steak, but not until around 10 when all the locals start to head out. Buenos Aires has made me appreciate how much of a lightweight I am. When I{m ready for bed at 2 or 3am everyone else starts hitting the clubs.

I'm attempting to learn spanish and have private classes for 3 hours a day in the week. Its pretty hard to get motivated to learn and do homework when youre on holiday, although the until recently bad weather has helped (huge thunderstorms and heavy rain, I could be at home in Wales).

All obligatory tourist duties have been undertaken, tango show, Eva Peron's mausoleum, mostly with 'Don't cry for me Argetina' in my head. Damn you Tim Rice. The cemetary was very beautiful, like a miniature city...except most of the houses had large stone angels on the roofs and guarded by hoardes of stray cats.

The Tango show was also fun, I pretended I had money as we were given champagne and canapes (me and 2 Brazilian professors in town for one of the many conferences going on this week) and refused to dance when asked as I was wearing inappropriate hiking trainers. Oh for some kitten heels.

I'm here for another week to continue the spanish classes, before heading up to Iguazu Falls and the Esteros de Ibera. If I ever manage to get my photos onto a computer I'll post pics when I can. xx

3 comments:

Pearson said...

All sounds pretty glam darling; are you going to the Welsh tearooms in Patagonia?!? I saw them on that Hairy Bikers programme (proper culture, Chatwin Schwatwin). Just got off the boat from Tassie this morning, nice to see that glowing orb in the sky again, I've missed it... on to Adelaide in a few days. Take care m'dear

Sara Ames said...

Would you expect anything less...? Yes I am indeed heading to Patagonia, 1 of my ancestors was on the boats apparently (sadly all we know is his surname - Williams - I doubt even Columbo could track him down). How was Tas then? When are you off to Asia again? x

Pearson said...

Tas is a bit freezing, wet and windy but beautiful - like a less spectacular version of NZ's South Island (and Cradle Mountain could even give that a run for its money). Fewer than half a million people in a place the size of Ireland so very peaceful too. And I didn't get buggered by rednecks, bonus! In Oz for another 6 weeks, off to 'Nam 26th Nov, back home just before Xmas. It's all going too bloody fast! You gonna support the Argies in the world cup now then?