Wednesday, 26 September 2007

Farewell New York

Well, I write to you at the end of my time in New York, I leave in just a few hours. I've had a fantastic time - its lovely coming back to a city and being able to explore away from the main sights (having said that I did a fair amount of that too). Highlights of the trip (apart from seeing Kathryn) have been: hanging out in Central and Prospect parks, going to Brooklyn Heights to see the view of Manhattan famous in the movies and pretending I'm in a Woody Allen film, walking across Brooklyn Bridge, going to the opera and pretending I'm in Moonstruck (yes there's a theme), drinking at the 'Hog & Pit' - the best, and in my opinion most underrated bar in New York, and last but not least seeing thee Ghostbusters fire station. Awesome.

I also went to Boston for the weekend which was a serene break from the hustle and bustle of NY. I learnt a lot about American history and learnt about the kindness of strangers - in particular a couple I got chatting to in a restaurant who insisted on paying for my dinner to welcome me to America. On the same night I saw some fantastic improvised comedy and got drunk with lots of old men in a bar. Nothing dodgy before my wayward friends start asking.

I now have to don my huge rucksack and smaller rucksack and head to the airport. I'm just 2 short flights from Buenos Aires (ok about 20 hours away but I'm trying to be positive). See you on the other side.

2 comments:

Kathryn M said...

So great to see you my love! Come back anytime and maybe I'll see you down South sometime this year...who knows?

I shall have you know that I have just BOOKMARKED your lovely blog so I have very high expectations for the literary content of your exciting welsh blog.

And as we talked, please don't repeat Sat night in Boston!

lots of love,

Kx

Sara Ames said...

Hmmm I wouldn't get too excited about the literary content my love, but will do my best for you. I'm being very sensible so far and have only had a couple of beers with some Brazilian intellectuals in the hostel. xx